Monday, November 26, 2012

The Art Lesson

This story is completely fictional, but it is my way of telling my real daughter why a boy may find beauty in a girl that is nothing like her, but still like her.


The Art Lesson”
I enjoy days like today, walking through an art museum with my lovely daughter Ariel. Ariel's mother and I split a few months ago and now I try to find things that interest both of us and today was a great day to visit the art museum, it was a brisk winter day and well outdoor activities in the winter aren't really something either of us find fun. This isn't our first trip to the museum and we both like looking at the paintings and sculptures and just walking casually hand in hand. I joke about her boyfriends and she teases me about my age or retreating hairline, but the smiles on both our faces betrays that this is all part of the fun. Yes, I truly love spending days like this with my daughter.

Today though I found there was a lesson in art that I had not ever thought of before, something I had never seen. There is always the “is it really art” lesson, that one never fully ends, because when you point to a Piet Mondrian and discuss how lines can be art, you end up looking at “Piss Jesus” and wondering where the line really is. Today though, the lesson came to me from the question of an innocent 10 year old girl.

The last time we were at the museum they were doing an exhibit on the Renaissance period, which happens to be my favorite artistic period. However this month was they were doing an exhibit on the art of the Early 20th Century. With works by Picasso, Matisse and Duchamp being the focal points. I was standing in front of Matisse's “The Dessert Harmony in Red” which was on loan from St Petersburg and I was describing how beautiful I thought the work was. Well, I must have impressed how much I loved the Renaissance upon Ariel because she interrupted me.

“Daddy, this doesn't seem your style” she said questioningly
“What do you mean sweetie?” I asked completely befuddled by her statement
“Well, you seemed to love Giorgone's 'The Tempest'” she paused considering her words “and this is nothing like that.”

Well the child had me alright, those two pieces were nothing alike, plus the fact she could remember our conversation from last time blew me out of the water. I had to think of how to respond, because I didn't want to give the typical “all art is beautiful” lecture because she'd know I was lying. We had discussed that before, all art isn't beautiful, some art is intentionally ugly, some art is unintentionally ugly to me and to her. How could I possibly then lie to her and say all art had intrinsic beauty? Then I kind of just decided to go with my gut and just let out what I was thinking instead of thinking about what I should say.

“Well Ariel, I do find this painting to be beautiful as well as I do 'The Tempest'” I began slowly considering only whether I was being clear “I can love the Renaissance period and particular artists from that period, but I can also appreciate the greatness of Modern Art or something even as old as a cave painting.”

I paused for a moment “Art is like loving a woman or in your case a boy” I teased “I can find blonde women to be the most attractive, but still appreciate the way a brunette or redhead looks” I didn't want to leave her thinking that it was about looks though, so I knew I had to go deeper.

“However, the paint isn't always what you're looking at, when you look at art, sometimes you're looking at the brush stroke, sometimes the meaning behind it, what was the artist feeling as he created it, or what type of paint was used.” I took a breath “you see what I find beautiful in art isn't what someone else finds beautiful.” I looked into my daughter's eyes and spoke once again “Ariel, art is like love, because every piece of art has someone that finds it fits them personally, some day a boy will see your outer beauty and want to know every brush stroke that created you” she giggled “he'll want to know the type of paint and the emotions of your creator, but most of all he'll want to know you”. Today because a young girl asked a good question, we both learned what art truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment