Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Side Effects are Outrageous


So, as I've said I'm quitting smoking, I'm on day 3 and the cravings are down some.  However there are so many side effects to quitting it's almost not even worth it (I have my reasons so shut up).  I was looking at this great website that has given me some insights regarding quitting and I realized there is a long list of side effects.

Not everyone has the same side effects but here is the list they had on whyquit.com.  Anxiety, mild depression, boredom & loneliness, anger or short-temper, time perception distortion, inability to concentrate, feeling tired or fatigued, trouble sleeping or insomnia, chest tightness, slight sore throat, coughing, mucus, nasal drip, bad breath, nasty tastes, bleeding gums, headaches, stomach pain, nausea, constipation or gas.  I am quitting the only way I know how too, cold-turkey.

Okay, so going through that list I can tell you that I have been going through a few of them.  Anxiety, oh yes, I'm antsy and anxious and want that relaxing cigarette break. I'm bored, I can't find anything to do and usually I'd spend a few minutes during the day smoking outside with other smokers.  I can't say I've been angry but I have been a little snippy in two phone conversations that I can think of.  I will say the day seems to take forever to get done and I haven't really been able to concentrate, but that tends to happen when you're asleep at work.  I can't fall asleep at night right now, I lay there tossing and turning for an hour or two, most likely because I'd smoke right before going to bed.  I have had a slight sore throat, coughing and nasal drip as well as headaches and bad breath (yes I can taste how bad it is). 

Anyway all of this is completely worth it despite the side effects, if you can't figure out why, well then you don't know me very well.  I have only two motivations in life one is my kids and they haven't figured out that I'm smoking, yes I've kept a secret for more than a year from them. Ok, so you've figured it out, I'm quitting because of my second motivation, steaks.  I like steaks and would do anything for one right now, however I won't get this reward until I get to Michigan, but that steak will be completely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment